The Abstract Daddy appears as two entangled bodies lying on the frame of a bed, covered in a "blanket" of putrid skin, with the two forms fused together, seemingly engaged in sexual intercourse. The two figures seem to be trapped in a rectangular board, with the "male" or upper figure's arms and legs dangling out the bottom. It moves on all fours, and the lower portion of the beast has the appearance of a bed with four posts. On the bottom of the monster is a long vertical slit. It also has two distorted mouths.
It is likely that Angela views the monster differently than James, and that she sees her own father Thomas as the monster, which is why she calls it "daddy". However, because James did not know Thomas, it takes the form of a monster.
Because these attacks require close contact with its prey, and due to the cramped conditions of the room, it's wise to run from end to end diagonally and fire at it with the shotgun once, then run to the other end. Doing so will result in little to no damage. The rifle can also be used, and its power surpasses that of the shotgun, but firing it makes James stall longer, giving the beast the opportunity to attack and is therefore not recommended for novice players. Once the player inflicts enough damage upon the creature, it will fall and deflate, deceased.
The monsters in the Lakeview Hotel are different from the boss version. These move much faster, but are much easier to kill, taking only two shotgun blasts to knock down. They also do not attack unless provoked.
The Abstract Daddy represents Angela's father, Thomas Orosco, and/or brother, hanging over her on a bed. The figure beneath screams in torment, while their "mouths" resemble a vaginal cavity. These aspects represent Angela's sexual abuse and anguish, and the sexual violence of her father and/or brother. The lower sphere head means "Angela in mirage of nightmare".
The room the monster is fought in likely represents Angela's uterus. On the fleshy walls of the room are holes with pistons making thrusting motions, akin to a penis or phallic instrument thrusting in and out of a vagina. These further evoke Angela's perspective of her rape: a mechanical, inescapable experience. It is possible every piston is symbolic of how many times she was molested (23).
Another possible theory is that it represents abusive masculinity, in that James suffocated his wife, Mary Shepherd-Sunderland, while she was in bed. This would explain why both Angela and James can see the monster, as they are both involved with the mentality at hand. Sexuality is also relevant here, as James felt sexually frustrated because of his bedridden, ill wife. At the end of the battle, Angela likens James to her father, saying he's only after "one thing".
Later in the game, smaller versions of the boss monster inexplicably make an appearance at the Lakeview Hotel. Players have theorized they may be an indication/foreshadowing to the player that Angela may be in the hotel somewhere and still processing emotions related to her trauma, that the smaller variants may be representative of Angela's brother, and that these monsters are connected to sexuality as hotels are often used as sex sites. When Masahiro Ito was asked, "Was it intentional design to have Abstract Daddy show up again in the hotel?", he replied, "No." When asked why there were so many Abstract Daddies in the hotel, he replied, "Because it's the game." He also said, "Also, at least, the square frames of them is affected by Mary." 
- The form and the symbolism of this monster are very similar to the creature of André Masson's painting "The Pianotaure" (1937).
- Defeating Abstract Daddy in the Silent Hill HD Collection awards the trophy/achievement "Childhood Trauma".
- The Silent Hill 2 "official" BradyGames strategy guide by Dan Birlew refers to Abstract Daddy as "Doorman". According to Birlew, the original name he was supplied with was "Angela Papa", but he felt this was inappropriate because he wanted to avoid spoilers. However, "Doorman" should not necessarily be accepted as an official name because it never appears anywhere else, the "official" strategy guides occasionally have errors, and it has been confirmed that the frame is a bedframe, not a doorframe.
- Masahiro Ito confirmed via Twitter that Abstract Daddy and what appear to be two framed skins of male torsos on the walls of the burning staircase, have "meanings [that] are much the same." Ito elaborated that the torsos represent Angela's father and brother.
- ↑ Book of Lost Memories
- ↑ Masahiro, Ito (adsk4). “"Abstract Daddy" means Angela's father (or brother) who is hanging over her body on a "bed".” Tweet.
- ↑ Masahiro Ito, Twitter
- ↑ Tweet
- ↑ Tweet
- ↑ Tweet
- ↑ Birlew, Dan (President Evil). "While Konami documents refer to this creature as "Angela Papa", I thought it more appropriate and less of a spoiler to rename this creature type a Doorman in the OSG." GameFAQs
- ↑ Ito (adsk4). “The design of two objects at Angela's stairway synchronized with Abstract Daddy's one. And their meanings are much the same.” Tweet.
- ↑ Ito (adsk4). “Yes, Angela's father and brother.” Tweet.