Abstract Daddy, also known as the Ideal father, is a monster found in claustrophobic areas of Silent Hill, Maine, appearing in Silent Hill 2. The creature is first encountered as a boss fight in the Labyrinth, later resurfacing as a less durable enemy type in the hallways of the Lakeview Hotel. Seen from the point of view of James Sunderland, it serves as both an abstract manifestation of Angela Orosco's sexual trauma and the memories of his terminally ill wife.
Growing up as a child, Angela Orosco suffered repeated rape and molestation from her father and brother. Timid and severely traumatized as a result, Angela eventually slit her father's throat after a failed attempt to run away from home. However, her actions left her in an intense state of guilt and self-blame. As she contemplated suicide, her damaged psyche drew her to the town of Silent Hill, Maine, where the darkest parts of her psyche were manifested into monsters and nightmarish delusions made real by the town.
Meanwhile, other individuals with darkness in their hearts became drawn to the town as well. James Sunderland came to the town searching for his deceased wife Mary, who he had thought died three years earlier from her terminal illness until receiving a mysterious letter, instructing him to find her in Silent Hill. As James went deeper and deeper into his delusions, his nightmare eventually crossed with Angela's, where he encountered the Abstract Daddy creatures.
Appearance and symbolism
|“|| Only Angela knows what she sees, her Abstract Daddy. James, players and I can't see what she sees. We are on the James's side. And who can say Abstract Daddy which James see is the same as hers?
Abstract Daddy is a creature resembling two figures intertwined in a reclining sex-like position over a bed frame, trapped in this position by the flesh covering its body. It is a manifestation of the trauma of the sexual abuse that Angela sustained from her father and brother, seen abstractly through the psyche of James Sunderland. The lower sphere head of the monster represents Angela and the pain that was inflicted on her. Because it manifested from her subconscious, James does not see it in the same way that she does. Creature designer Masahiro Ito added that "James will never know drowning her in the sea of flame." To James, the design of the creature and the frame was influenced by his memories of Mary when she was bedridden, which contributed to it resurfacing in the Lakeview Hotel, where the two of them had stayed on vacation before her disease. Although Ito chooses to leave Angela's version of the Abstract Daddy to the player's imagination, he believes that it is more disturbing than what James fought. He stated that if they depicted the monster from her perspective, she would not have been as fascinating as a character.
The room of the boss fight likely represents Angela's uterus. On the fleshy walls of the room are holes with pistons making thrusting motions, akin to a penis or phallic instrument thrusting in and out of a vagina. These further evoke Angela's perspective of her rape: a mechanical, inescapable experience. It is possible every piston is symbolic of how many times she was molested (23).
The meaning of the two frames containing humanoid torsos encased in stretched skin in the Lakeview Hotel staircase is synchronized with the meaning of the Abstract Daddy. The frames represent Angela's father and brother, respectively. It is possible that James saw the staircase itself slightly differently from Angela.
Because these attacks require close contact with its prey, and due to the cramped conditions of the room, it's wise to run from end to end diagonally and fire at it with the shotgun once, then run to the other end. Doing so will result in little to no damage. The rifle can also be used, and its power surpasses that of the shotgun, but firing it makes James stall longer, giving the beast the opportunity to attack and is therefore not recommended for novice players. Once the player inflicts enough damage upon the creature, it will fall and deflate, deceased.
The monsters in the Lakeview Hotel are different from the boss version. These move much faster, but are much easier to kill, taking only two shotgun blasts to knock down. They also do not attack unless provoked.
- The form and the symbolism of this monster are very similar to the creature of André Masson's painting "The Pianotaure" (1937).
- Defeating Abstract Daddy in the Silent Hill HD Collection awards the trophy/achievement "Childhood Trauma".
- When Masahiro Ito was asked, "Was it intentional design to have Abstract Daddy show up again in the hotel?", he replied, "No." When asked why there were so many Abstract Daddies in the hotel, he replied, "Because it's the game."
- ↑ http://www.silenthillmemories.net/lost_memories/guide/048-049_en.htm
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/867257622474350592
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/302829911113084928
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/867046336427720704
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/935208330728849408
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1105929282650427392
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/966012214606938112
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1097261675420442624
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1097929728789377024
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1262941108193157127
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/867041895603556352
- ↑ https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1248673854215487489
- ↑ Tweet
- ↑ Tweet