Chang Ch'ien (張騫) is a figure referenced in Silent Hill: Origins as being the first in recorded history to have used the Flauros, an object of importance in both Origins and Silent Hill. A yellowed page regarding him and the Flauros' historical background can be found on a tableside in Green Lion Antiques.
- "Flauros Device: Origin unknown.
- The device is first mentioned in the
- poetry of Chang Ch'ien, an advisor
- to members of the early Han
- dynasty. In one of his tracts, Chang
- Ch'ien jokes he trapped a demon
- inside his 'three-sided box'.
- When Chang Ch'ien died in a
- terrible fire at the imperial palace
- in 115 BC, the device appeared
- It was later rumored to be in
- possession of Lutheran monk M. G.
- Lewis, who in 1796 spoke of its
- ability to control and amplify
- thought. It was Lewis who linked it
- not to a demon, but to God
- himself, claiming it was a weapon
- left by angels as a force for good."
- In actuality, a Chang Ch'ien truly existed. It's rather likely the historical figure is the basis for, if not the same as, the Chang Ch'ien referenced in Origins.