Dead by Daylight: Chapter XVI - Silent Hill is the sixteenth chapter in the 4v1 asymmetrical multiplayer survival horror game Dead by Daylight. It is a crossover with the Silent Hill series that features Cheryl Mason and Pyramid Head as playable characters, along with Alessa Gillespie, Cybil Bennett, James Sunderland, Lisa Garland, and Robbie the Rabbit as transformative character skins.
It is bundled in Dead by Daylight: Silent Hill Edition, which was released digitally in the west and on physical copies in Japan.
The game is a 4v1 asymmetrical multiplayer survival horror with multiple players acting as survivors and one player acting as the killer. The survivor's gameplay is from a third person perspective, while the killer's is first person. The objective is for the survivors to restore five generators and escape before the killer murders them by sacrificing them to the Entity on hooks or killing the survivors by their own hands. The map of Chapter XVI is Midwich Elementary School, a location from the original Silent Hill. The musical score for the chapter was composed in collaboration with Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka.
- Soul Guard: Allows Cheryl to temporarily endure a hit after being healed or having recovered from being knocked down.
Also allows her to self-recover from a down when affected by a killer's hex.
- Blood Pact: Allows Cheryl and the Obsession to see each other's aura when either is injured. If they heal one another, they gain a temporary movement speed boost.
- Repressed Alliance: Allows Cheryl to call upon the Entity to temporarily block a generator from being interacted with by other survivors or even the killer.
- Lisa Garland: a character skin transforming Cheryl into Lisa Garland.
- Alessa Gillespie: a character skin transforming Cheryl into her former self.
- Cybil Bennett: a character skin transforming Cheryl into Cybil Bennett.
- Rites of Judgment: Stabbing his Great Knife into the ground, the Exectutioner creates hazards throughout the map made of blood, metal beams and barbed wire for some time. Encountering this hazard inflicts survivors with an effect known as Torment, where their location is revealed to the Executioner.
- Cage of Atonement: Survivors bleeding out after being affected by Torment can be sent to a Cage of Atonement, rather than being placed on a hook.
- Final Judgment: Survivors bleeding out and affected by Torment on what would be their final Hook stage before being sacrificed can instead be executed with a special animation in which the Executioner kills the survivor instantly.
- Punishment of the Damned: While creating trails with the Rites of Judgment, the Executioner can send a shockwave of energy forward, damaging any and all survivors in its path. This shockwave can also strike players through obstacles and walls, however it can be avoided by moving out of the way in time. If the Executioner does not have enough energy, he cannot perform this attack.
- Forced Penance: Allows the Executioner to temporarily force survivors protecting others from his hits into the "Broken" state, which reduces their remaining health stats to just one and disabling healing.
- Trail of Torment: Allows the Executioner to temporarily disguise his presence from survivors after damaging a generator.
- Deathbound: Allows the Executioner to force survivors healing one another at a safe distance away to reveal their location to him, after which the two survivors are temporarily oblivious to the Executioner's terror radius if they walk too far away from one another.
- Corrupted Executioner: An Otherworld cosmetic skin.
- Forge Born Executioner: A molten cosmetic skin, part of the Immolation Collection.
Following the events of Silent Hill 3, Heather Mason has survived the Order's attempt to use her to birth their god, but is grief-stricken over the loss of her father at the hands of the Missionary. In her father's memory, she takes on the name he gave her former self, Cheryl. However, she blames herself for his demise and wakes up every night to nightmares. Out of guilt, she joins a crisis hotline for troubled youths. On her first day on the job, she gets a mysterious phone call hearing Claudia Wolf's voice before being pulled into the Dead by Daylight domain by a creature called "the Entity".
Elsewhere, in the town of Silent Hill, Maine, a creature similar to James Sunderland's Pyramid Head known as "the Executioner" stalks the streets. As a sadist feared even among other monsters, he is obsessed with dispensing unrestrained torture against those deserving of punishment, a task that no one else truly understands. When his objective is reached, the Executioner rests in the shadows until another sinner comes along. When Cheryl enters the Dead by Daylight universe, the Entity calls upon the Executioner to fulfill his duty once more. He is drawn to Heather due to her remorseful feelings.
In contingent with the story established in the character bios, two unlockable character skins — "Moving on" and "Starting over" — showcase potential scenarios for Cheryl's post-Silent Hill 3 life.
|“|| A brand-new place for a brand-new chapter in her life. After destroying the cult that had forced her into hiding, Cheryl could express herself and become the person she always wanted to be.
In October 2021, Dead by Daylight expanded its Silent Hill Collection to include new content: the Pyramid Blight skin for the Executioner and a cosmetic that transforms Cheryl Mason into James Sunderland. The official scenario provided by Behaviour Interactive states that the Red Pyramid Thing of Silent Hill 2 injects Putrid Serum into its veins and reunites with Sunderland in the Entity's domain.
Allusions to Silent Hill
- The caged corpses above the courtyard are an homage to the corpses in the Midwich Elementary School lobby from the original game, which originated from the painting in the Gillespie house.
- The Piano Puzzle can be seen in the Midwich Elementary School map, maintaining the bloody keys from the original game.
- The locker room jumpscare returns in Midwich Elementary School, as does the sound of crying in the bathroom.
- The Seal of Metatron is still present in the courtyard.
- The cages that the Executioner traps survivors in is reminiscent of the Mary boss from Silent Hill 2.
- A picture of Mira from the "Dog" Ending of Silent Hill 2 can be found in a desk.
- The Flauros and the Halo of the Sun appear inside the Clocktower.
- Robbie the Rabbit, the Seal of Metatron, and Otherworld iconography are ingrained in Cheryl Mason's Ugly Sweater.
- Cheryl's character biography states that "The air thickened as black fumes rose from the ground" when she heard Claudia's voice. This phenomenon occurred in the Fog Worlds of Silent Hill, West Virginia, caused by a coal fire accident that left the town abandoned, and in Silent Hill: Homecoming for reasons unknown.
- Mary's Letter is an offering that can be used by both Killers and Survivors. Burning the offering will tremendously increase the chances of going to Midwich Elementary School.
- The promotional art for the Executioner (see #Gallery) is reminiscent of "Misty day, remains of the Judgment".
- The painting itself is used as the logo for his Add-on of the same name.
- The "Welcome to Silent Hill" sign from the movie is seen in the menu screen.
- Although Masahiro Ito tweeted one of his Pyramid Head paintings to commemorate the chapter's release, he has since clarified that it is not related to Dead by Daylight and that he is not involved with any of the game's content.
- One of the game's patches slightly tweaked the Executioner's physical appearance, reportedly causing some backlash over a perceived change in the size of his buttocks. The developer has debunked making such an alteration, with the games director adding that "I can confirm that while our art team did continue to polish Pyramid Head, his butt remained untouched. The apron covering his body was modified, which might create the illusion that his body was also changed."
- A patch for the game in August 2021 reads: "Fixed an issue that caused The Executioner's rear to be too flat." When Polygon reached out to Behaviour Interactive for clarification, they replied: "Pyramid Head's behind was never nerfed. This said, we recently found a bug on one of his outfits, The Corrupted. The cloth covering his butt had clipping issues which made it, well, flat. I hope that you, and our community, agree on the level of roundness."
- A Dead by Daylight: Silent Hill Edition was released digitally in the west on June 16, 2020, featuring the base game, Chapter XVI - Silent Hill, a Silent Hill Cosmetic Pack (containing the Alessa Gillespie and Corrupted Executioner character skins), and four previous chapters of the game. Physical copies of this edition were released in Japan on November 19, 2020 via the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, which exclusively included the chapter's soundtrack and an original song "Like the moon" by Akira Yamaoka.
- The promotional action figures, pins, statues, and general merchandizing from Gecco Corp was postponed to 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Dead by Daylight is the first game to feature both Silent Hill and Resident Evil content.
- In October 2021, Behaviour Interactive's product store manager Rose Li said of the release of James Sunderland and Pyramid Blight: "As one of the original characters in the Silent Hill series, James Sunderland has been in the works for quite a long time. Things happen, deadlines shift to accommodate different content, and even though this was a release we had first envisioned for July, Halloween actual feels like the perfect moment to bring James into our game along with a grisly new look for Pyramid Head."
- Masahiro Ito was disappointed in Pyramid Head being included over White Hunter, stating "if the White PH joins DBD as a killer, it's more than welcome. Because I designed that for such a use. The film, the Homecoming and the Arcade had already used Pyramid Head at that time. The original PH was a character I designed [only] for James [Sunderland]. So I designed that character to avoid the abuse and named it White Hunter." Additionally, he expressed an interest in White Hunter being added to the game as a cosmetic.
- Official site
- Dead by Daylight: Chapter XVI - Silent Hill on Steam
- Dead by Daylight: Chapter XVI - Silent Hill information at Silent Hill Memories
|Silent Hill games|
|Main series||Silent Hill · 2 · 3 · 4 · Origins · Homecoming · Shattered Memories · Downpour|
|Ports / Adaptations||Play Novel · Mobile · HD Collection · Slot machine · Escape · Return|
|Spin-offs||The Arcade · Orphan · Mobile 2 · Mobile 3 · The Escape · Book of Memories|
|Crossovers||Dead by Daylight: Chapter XVI - Silent Hill · Dark Deception: Monsters & Mortals - Silent Hill|
|Cancelled||Silent Hills (P.T.) · Cancelled projects|
|Production||Konami · Team Silent · Climax Studios · Double Helix · Vatra Games · WayForward Technologies · TAKASAGO|
|Extras||Inspirations · Features|