The Murder Incident Article is found outside Wood Side Apartments in a garbage chute in Silent Hill 2. The article mentions a man named Walter Sullivan, who was responsible for the deaths of twins Billy and Miriam Locane. He was arrested and imprisoned for their deaths; soon after his imprisonment, however, he committed suicide by using a soup spoon to stab himself in the neck, severing his carotid artery.
The transcript also mentions a being known as the "Red Devil". Originally, the mention of this anonymous creature was believed to be a foreshadowing of the encounter with Pyramid Head, but with the release of Silent Hill 4: The Room, the lore changed to refer to Jimmy Stone, who was nicknamed the "Red Devil".
- "The police announced today that
- Walter Sullivan, who was arrested
- on the 18th of this month for the
- brutal murder of Billy Locane and
- his sister Miriam, committed
- suicide in his jail cell early on the
- morning of the 22nd.
- According to the police
- statement, Sullivan used a soup
- spoon to stab himself in the neck,
- severing his carotid artery.
- By the time the guard discovered
- him, Sullivan was dead from blood
- loss, the spoon buried two inches
- in his neck.
- An old schoolmate of Walter
- Sullivan's from his hometown of
- Pleasant River said "He didn't
- look like the type of guy who
- would kill kids.
- But I do remember that just
- before they arrested him he
- was blurting out all sorts of
- strange stuff like 'He's trying
- to kill me. He's trying to
- punish me. The monster...
- the red devil. Forgive me. I did it,
- but it wasn't me!'.
- The schoolmate then added
- 'I guess now that I think of it,
- he was kinda crazy'."
- Finding this article gives one of the answers to a later (but optional) puzzle in the game, where it is asked who murdered the aforementioned twins.