Note that the newspaper does not always appear. The exact conditions required to spawn it are unknown.
"PTV" dealers still at large.
Suspicious deaths continue. First the anti-drug Mayor, now a narcotics officer dies of a sudden heart failure of unknown cause.
Are there others? It's pretty old...
Fire broke out in town. 6 homes destroyed.
Charred body of Alessa Gillespie(7) found in aftermath.
Cause of fire currently under investigation.
Investigations show source as basement of Gillespie home. Blaze now believed caused by malfunction of antiquated boiler.
The date of the blaze...
it's the same day we found Cheryl!
- The newspaper can be found in the data of every retail version of the game. However, it is unknown if it can be found in-game in all of them. It is largely omitted from the original Japanese materials for Silent Hill, save for quotes being used in the Q&A section of the Silent Hill Official Guidebook (Complete Edition). It is also mentioned later in the Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle document, where a nearly complete transcript and location are given. However, no actual means of obtaining it are specified.
- The Gillespie house is portrayed as being in a rather secluded part of town in the Silent Hill opening as well as in Silent Hill: Origins. It would seem unlikely for the fire to spread as far as it did in that location. As a matter of fact, other materials state that the home was actually placed in Central Silent Hill.
- The details on the fire are later revisited in the altered police report found in Silent Hill: Origins.
- The newspaper has caused a great deal of controversy within the Silent Hill fanbase. Some fans theorize that the article points to the fire of the Gillespie house being started by Alessa's psychic energy causing a boiler to accidentally explode. Evidence against this theory include both the official guidebook and Lost Memories, which state that the fire was started by the ritual itself, due to its use of "a great deal of fire". It would seem that the article was a deliberate cover-up carried out by the Order to hide the true cause of the fire.
- Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle, Materials for solve, SILENT HILL (pg.114-115).
- Silent Hill Official Guidebook (Complete Edition), The Truth Behind The Town (Story Secrets Q&A) (pg.121-127).
- http://silenthillchronicle.net/shkgb.htm Silent Hill Official Koshiki Guidebook
- http://translatedmemories.com/bookpgs/Pg08-09AlessasHistory.jpg Lost Memories: Alessa's History
- http://translatedmemories.com/bookpgs/Pg82-83.jpg Lost Memories: The Fool
- http://translatedmemories.com/bookpgs/Pg88-89.jpg Lost Memories: The Empress