- Harry can explore Silent Hill in his nightmare.
- To evade the Puppet Cybil Bennett battle, the player can use the Aglaophotis on a Larval Stalker anywhere in the park before entering the carousel through a glitch.
References and homages
- In Cafe 5to2, two posters on either side of the pinball machine say "Study Dammit!" This is a reference to Stephen King. The poster was made when he was in college and was put into the college newspaper to "inspire" the students to study.
- There is a Portishead poster in the cafe.
- Inside the café is a Medieval Madness Pinball machine. This is a reference to Children of the Corn, when Malakai is playing pinball.
- There is a convenience store that has a similar logo to 7-Eleven; however, in the game, it has an 8 instead of a 7.
- The gas station near Balkan Church has a logo resembling the logo of the Shell Gas station stores, but the "S" is hard to read, so it appears to say "Hell".
- Midwich Elementary School was heavily based on the school in Kindergarten Cop, featuring similar posters and architecture design.
- After exiting K. Gordon's house, go to Bloch St. and start checking the garage doors on its north side. On a garage door, the words "Redrum" are spray painted, which is a reference to Stephen King's The Shining.
- There are Playboy magazines on the desk in Orridge Bridge Control Room.
- A door in Nowhere has the words "Help Me", a reference to Regan in The Exorcist.
- Pepsi's logo appears on a park bench.
- There is a shop called Vestal Gigastore in the Silent Hill Town Center, which references Virgin Megastores.
- "Fedy-X" is used in place of "FedEx" on the boxes in Indian Runner.
- There are cardboard boxes that say Psychick TV on them in the basement storeroom of Alchemilla Hospital.
- Midwich St. and Midwich Elementary School refer to The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham.
- Dahlia Gillespie's house is similar to the stairs where Arbogast is murdered in Psycho.
- Alessa Gillespie's picture is similar to one of the characters in The Legend Of Hell House.
- There is an FAA shop, similar to in the movie 12 Monkeys.
- A poster of the Exposition Universelle 1889 can be found in the Silent Hill Police Station.
- Harry Mason can walk by a restaurant called "Poston Market", an obvious reference to Boston Market.
- Bachman Rd. is named after Stephen King's pseudonym, Richard Bachman.
- Though it does not appear in the game, there is a texture file of the poster from the subway in Jacob's Ladder about drug use.
- When Harry comes across his first notepad, he sees a sentence similar to one written in the Stephen King story, The Mist.
- There is a store called Mark Twain.
- Across the street from Green Lion Antiques, the player can find "Mushnik's Florist". There is a sign in the window about their new plant, Audrey Jr. This is a reference to The Little Shop of Horrors.
- Metropol Theater is next to the cafe, and is the same theater from Dario Argento's film Demons.
- There is a Jim Beam sign on a building.
- Between the Jim Beam sign and the REDRUM writing, there is also a Jack Daniel's graphic drawn on a metal garage door.
- Across from the hospital, there is a Konami Burger. In the Otherworld, "Konami Burger" is changed to "Konami Berger".
- Mec Burger, a burger joint in the Resort Area, resembles McDonald's. It has large golden arches over the building.
- Cut Rite Chainsaws is from the movie Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.
- There is a restaurant called "A Moveable Feast". This is a Ernest Hemingway reference. On a related note, there is a memento of the same name in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
- The "Bill Skins Fifth" headline on all the newspapers refers to The Silence of the Lambs.
- The Midwich School teachers are named after members of Sonic Youth.
- Around town, there are posters for the Stephen King movies Pet Sematary and Carrie.
- Queen Burger, a fast food restaurant, resembles the real fast food chain Burger King.
Open up the Options menu and press L1, L2, R1, or R2 to open an extra menu. The player can change the blood color, set a bullet multiplier (bullet adjust), and more.
- Weapon Control
- Blood Color
- View Control
- Retreat Turn
- Walk/Run Control
- Auto Aiming
- View Mode
- Bullet Adjust
The bullet adjust multiplies any ammo found within ammo boxes by the amount specified. The maximum bullet adjust is x6, and it can be increased by x1 for each new ending the player receives.
Alternative opening scene
An alternative joke ending. It is unlocked by using the Channeling Stone at five different locations.
- Otherworld Midwich Elementary School roof
- Otherworld Alchemilla Hospital gates (prior to the Floatstinger boss fight
- Norman's Motel parking lot in Resort Area
- Houseboat (prior to the Lighthouse)
- Lighthouse roof
- Main article: Channeling Stone
- Main article: Gasoline Tank
An item in the Gas Station on Bloch Street, Old Silent Hill during second or subsequent playthroughs. It is used as fuel for the chainsaw or rock drill.
- Main article: Katana
A weapon found inside the locked room in the Levin St. House in Old Silent Hill during subsequent playthroughs, after getting both a good and a bad ending. The katana inflicts a lot of damage and several types of attacks are possible, but it can be slow and difficult to use. It also propels Harry forward when he swings it, meaning that if the player holds in the attack button, Harry can move anywhere quite quickly just by swinging the katana, hitting anything in his path.
- Main article: Chainsaw
A weapon found in the Cut-Rite Chainsaws Store on Bloch Street in Old Silent Hill during second or subsequent playthroughs. The gasoline tank is needed to use it. The chainsaw is slightly less powerful than the rock drill and has different types of attacks, but is slow to recover and rather difficult to use.
- Main article: Rock Drill
A weapon found in the storage room underneath the Orridge Bridge Control Room on Bloch Street in Old Silent Hill during second or subsequent playthroughs. The gasoline tank is needed to use it. The rock drill is very powerful, but it is heavy, difficult to handle, and he can't move while using it. It is less cumbersome than the chainsaw, however.
- Main article: Hyper Blaster
A weapon found in the inventory when starting a new game while a Konami Justifier is attached to the PlayStation system, or after unlocking the UFO Ending. No ammunition is required, and it has a long range. It will automatically aim, which means it will rarely miss its target. The auto-aim can also target enemies in darkness, as well as those hidden behind walls.
- The Official PlayStation Magazine #16 (US) demo has many differences from the main game and later demos. It opens with the choice of "Scene 1" (beginning up to the end of the café scene) and "Scene 2" (Midwich Elementary). This version also contains many hidden images on the game disc which do not appear in the final game or later demos. The dialogue and memos are different. For example, the piano room memo is called "A Tale of Notes Lost Birds".  Instead of being called Old Silent Hill, the residential area is called "Wrightwood." Some of the streets also have different names and the school is misspelled as "Midwich Elementaly School."  The kitchen knife was called a "petty knife". 
- Later demos open with the choice of "Opening" or "Battle" mode. Opening is Harry waking up in the car, going to the alley, waking up in the cafe, and meeting Cybil. Battle is a modified version of alternate Midwich Elementary. The Battle Mode ends after Harry finds the Lobby Key in the Locker Room and uses it to attempt to leave the building. Both scenarios end with a "Coming Soon" image, either of Dahlia or a body in the school.
- Hell Station, labeled as simply "Gas Station" in the final game, is labeled "Super Tuesday".
- "Boston Market" had not yet been changed to "Poston Market".
- A garage door has "STOP" written on it in blood.
- Police cars say "Buffalo Police - Traffic Div.". Later versions just say "Police".
- Instead of "Horned Moon Dance", the same store is called "Hand Drawn Ales".
- In the NTSC version, the game opens with a note that the final version will be for mature audiences, but the demo is for general audiences. The blood in this version is green. The PAL version lacks this paragraph, and has red blood.
- All demo versions have Grey Children. They were replaced with Mumblers in the later PAL versions.
- All later versions start with "You will encounter a wall of darkness, and the wrath of the underworld. These will help you."
- One of the books with clues regarding the Clock Tower has different pictures in it. In the laboratory memo, the last line refers to "sage's salt water" rather than "sage's water". The list of teachers is also missing from the demo version.
- The hydrochloric acid was sulfuric acid in early versions. 
- Some areas, such as the stairs, are blocked off.
- While in the Fog World, if Harry inspects the rattling locker in the locker room of Midwich Elementary, he will say: "Locker is locked. There seems to be something inside..." This only occurs in the demo, as the final release has a cat burst from the locker, before it is attacked by a monster.
Deleted, unused and inaccessible content
- There are 7 unused models and several unused textures of monsters in game data. Six of those unused models seem to be of regular enemies based on animals: a frog, a monkey, a butterfly, a stingray, a snake and an ostrich. The seventh unused model is a contorted chicken, rumored to be a scrapped boss due to its gigantic size. Masahiro Ito claimed he certanly worked on those enemies, but refused to give any further information. 
There is a number of rooms on the game files that are nowhere to be found during the game. For example, there is a living room with a fireplace and a painting of a couple. 
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/silent-hill-opm-16-demo-1998-scene-1/
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/silent-hill-opm-16-demo-1998-scene-1/
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/silent-hill-1-opm16-demo-scene-2/
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/ePSXe_2012-02-08_10-56-53-06.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_ePSXe_2015-06-27_01-09-34-50.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/sh1_2-300x214.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/WKS_0351.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/WKS_0352.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_bostonmartket.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/betastop.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/vlcsnap-2013-08-27-18h15m00s161.png
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_hand.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/01%7E0.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/02%7E0.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_ePSXe_2015-06-27_00-32-10-76.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_ePSXe_2015-06-27_00-32-22-31.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_ePSXe_2015-06-27_00-39-35-89.jpg
- ↑ http://alchemillahospital.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/blocked.jpg
- ↑ http://silenthillcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=3335&t=438095
- ↑ http://silenthillcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=3335&t=438095&start=60