The Submachine Gun is a firearm introduced in Silent Hill 3 and reappearing in Silent Hill 4: The Room and Silent Hill: Book of Memories. They are only wielded by the female characters in the main titles, Heather Mason and Eileen Galvin. In all games, they have good range and inflict a great deal of damage despite logic that dictates otherwise.
Silent Hill 3
The submachine gun is the third ranged weapon found in Silent Hill 3 by Heather Mason and is discovered in the basement of Brookhaven Hospital. It has decent damage, but ammo is scarcely placed throughout the world. It can be equipped with the silencer.
After beating the game once, the player unlocks another version of the submachine gun: the unlimited submachine gun, which has infinite bullets and automatic fire; however, in order to get it, the player must beat the final boss using a melee weapon (katana, steel pipe, maul, etc).
Silent Hill 4: The Room
"Small-sized, one-handed machine gun. Perfect for Eileen."
The submachine gun is an unlockable weapon in Silent Hill 4: The Room and is for Eileen Galvin's exclusive use. It can only be found after completing the game with a nine-star ranking and starting a "Brand-new Fear" game. It is found in Room 102 of South Ashfield Heights, on the counter by the refrigerator. However, Eileen's possessed state will increase.
Silent Hill: Book of Memories
The submachine gun is a powerful ranged weapon available in Book of Memories.
- The submachine gun in Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4: The Room is an Ingram MAC-10 machine pistol dressed up as an IMI Uzi submachine gun. In Book of Memories, it resembles an Intratec TEC-9 machine pistol.
- The owner of Garland's, Steve Garland, was killed by a submachine gun. It is unknown if the submachine gun found by Henry Townshend in Silent Hill 4: The Room is the murder weapon. The same is true for the rusty axe and Twin Victim.
- The submachine gun is one of four weapons used by the Memory of Alessa during the course of the boss fight.
- The silencer's interchangeability between the handgun and the submachine gun suggests that they are chambered for the same ammunition; however, due to gameplay purposes, their ammunition boxes are considered separate entities.
- In Silent Hill 3, this is one of the few weapons that allows the player to manually aim on the Y axis. Because the analog sticks (or the directional-pad buttons) are required to aim, Heather cannot move while aiming the submachine gun. The same rule applies for the flamethrower.
- If the submachine gun is fired constantly, one may notice that the weapon has no recoil. Instead, all the bullets go in the exact position. This would be impossible in real life as the submachine guns such as Mac-10 and Uzi have a very high rate of fire and the recoil would be hard to control. This is further proven by the fact that Heather fires the weapon from the hip which in real life would make the weapon less accurate than if she were aiming down sights.
- If the player tries to fire the submachine gun in the HD Collection version of Silent Hill 3, the sound of the weapon will become glitched and not play properly. This only occurs in the Xbox 360 version since the PlayStation 3 version was patched.
- Although Henry himself cannot use it, Eileen Galvin can fire it full-auto using just her unbroken arm, and is always accurate no matter how long she fires it. As an added bonus, this weapon can be used indefinitely by Eileen.
- The MAC-11 is implied to be the weapon used in the fourth murder of the Walter Sullivan case (a key element of the game's backstory), where the perpetrator killed a pet store owner and his entire stock of pets using a submachine gun. Its previous use as an instrument of indiscriminate massacre is likely the reason behind its insidious drawback--merely holding the weapon will gradually, but surely, cause Eileen to become more and more possessed by the forces behind the otherworldly and supernatural phenomenon from which Henry must protect her, to such a point that this mounting hellish influence will cause Eileen to go insane and possibly even harm Henry (but not with a weapon), though the same result will occur if the player fails to protect her from damage by ingame monsters, regardless of whether the submachine gun is armed.