The "Welcome to Silent Hill" sign is a recurring motif within the Silent Hill series and is usually present whenever someone, such as the games' protagonists, first arrives in Silent Hill, Maine, in the game canon or Silent Hill, West Virginia, in the film canon. Even if they find themselves transported there by mysterious means, it's not uncommon for them to find themselves located near the sign.
The sign is more similar to large tourism signs that advertise the town to people who may be passing through, as well as being the official entrance to the town. It is written on a large, arched backing board with two spotlights above it. It is extremely large in size and stands on two tall support beams, towering well over a human. The sign seems to have an eerie, almost intimidating and somewhat unwelcoming feel about it, which is ironic considering the true purpose of a welcome sign in general. It can be speculated that the sign has been changed over the years, or that there are various signs located in different places.
- Silent Hill film (2006) - Rose Da Silva is shown passing it on her way into Silent Hill.
- Silent Hill: The Arcade (2007) - It is shown in the introduction.
- Silent Hill: Origins (2007) - It is shown as Travis Grady enters the town.
- Sinner's Reward, Issue 1 (2008) - It appears on the cover and when Jack Stanton enters Silent Hill.
- Silent Hill: Homecoming (2008) - Alex Shepherd comes to in the streets of Silent Hill not far from the welcome sign near the Grand Hotel. Another sign can be found after the boat ride to Silent Hill.
- Silent Hill: Book of Memories (2012) - Shown in the "Joke" ending.
- Silent Hill: Revelation (2012) - Shown when Heather Mason enters the town, as well as when she and Vincent Cooper leave.
Shepherd's Glen sign
A similar sign is seen to welcome visitors to the small town of Shepherd's Glen. Like the sign found in Silent Hill, it proclaims "Welcome to Shepherd's Glen", with the second line of text reading "Where Family Comes First", most likely a tongue-in-cheek reference to the events that make up a large portion of the town's history.
- The welcome sign was an idea created for the film. Welcome signs never appear in the first four Silent Hill games.
- In Origins, the sign says "Welcome to Silent Hill" when Travis enters the town, but once the camera shows the other face of the sign, it only indicates "Silent Hill" (instead of "Now Leaving Silent Hill," for example). This peculiar lack of a preface could mean that it's easier to enter Silent Hill than to leave it.
- In Silent Hill: Revelation, the back of the sign says "You Are Now Leaving Silent Hill" as Sharon, Vincent, and Travis drive away from it. Soon after, the camera moves around to show the "Welcome to Silent Hill" sign with fog descending once again as Murphy Pendleton's prison van and his police escort drive in.
- The welcome sign is shown in the E3 2010 trailer for Silent Hill: Downpour, yet it does not appear in the actual game. Perhaps this is because of how Murphy Pendleton enters Silent Hill after going through the mines of Devil's Pit where as in the trailer Murphy is seen running down a road passing the sign into town trying to evade the police.
|Rose Da Silva - Christopher Da Silva - Cybil Bennett - Dahlia Gillespie - Thomas Gucci - Anna - Christabella - Sharon Da Silva - Alessa Gillespie - Dark Alessa|
|Sister Margaret - Eleanor - Colin - Lisa Garland - Jennifer Carroll|
|Armless Man - Colin - Creeper - Dark Nurse - Grey Child - Red Pyramid|
|Brahms - Brookhaven Hospital - Church - Da Silva House - Gans County - Grand Hotel - Midwich Elementary School - Nathan Drugs - Pete's Bowl-O-Rama - Sacrificial Chamber - Silent Hill, West Virginia - Smitty's - Toluca County Archives - Toluca County Mining Museum - Toluca County Orphanage - Toluca Lake|
|The Brethren - Monster - Flashlight - Manifestation - Otherworld - Fog World - Real World - Siren - Great Knife - Welcome Sign - Brethren Symbol|
|Heather Mason - Christopher Da Silva - Vincent Cooper - Claudia Wolf - Leonard Wolf - Dark Alessa - Douglas Cartland - Alessa Gillespie|
|Rose Da Silva - Dahlia Gillespie - Suki - Travis Grady - Order Soldier - Detective Santini - Mannequin Girl|
|Armless Man - Delusion - Leonard Wolf - Lobotomy - Mannequin Monster - Memory of Alessa - Missionary - Nurse - Pyramid Head - Valtiel|
|All Hallows High School - Brookhaven Asylum - Central Square Shopping Center - Jacks Inn - Sanctuary - Silent Hill, West Virginia - Lakeside Amusement Park|
|The Brethren - Halo of the Sun - Monster - Manifestation - Otherworld - Fog World - Real World - Robbie the Rabbit - Seal of Metatron - Siren - The Order - Great Knife - Welcome Sign|
|Eric - Tina - Bill - Jessie - Ryan - George - Emilie Anderson - Frank Anderson - Michelle Anderson|
Hanna - Lorraine - Captain - Scott Fairbanks - Greys
|Creeper - Double Head - Greedy Worm - Gum Head - Hummer - Insane Cancer - Mama - Numb Body - Nurse - Phantom - Pyramid Head - Robbie the Rabbit - Scraper - Split Worm - Toadstool - Tremer - Tuberculosis|
|Brookhaven Hospital - Central Square Shopping Center - Jacks Inn - Labyrinth - Lakeside Amusement Park - Silent Hill Historical Society - Spiral Staircase - Toluca Lake - Toluca Prison|
|Flashlight - Fog World - Little Baroness - Monster - Otherworld - Radio - Real World - Siren - Welcome Sign|
|Jack Stanton - Jillian Conway - Sara Linwood - Finn Conway - Jimmy Shea - O'Conner Brothers - Michael Stanton - Digger|
|Nurse - Pyramid Head - Sniffer Dog|
|Brookhaven Hospital - Charon's Bar-B-Q - Pete's Bowl-O-Rama - Rosewater Park - Silent Hill - Texxon Gas - Toluca Lake|
|Brand of Samael - Fog World - Monster - Otherworld - Real World - Siren - Manifestation - Great Knife - Welcome Sign|
|Tom Waltz - Steph Stamb - IDW Publishing|